Thursday, February 12, 2009

Nian Gao 年糕 - Chinese New Year Cake


The Chinese tradition bears uncanny resemblance to the Jewish Tradition. For example the eating of Chinese New Year Cake verses the eating of the unleaven bread during the Passover. The meaning of Passover is the crossing over from the old. In Jewish tradition, it is a New Year to them.

For more information click : http://israelinfaith.blogspot.com/2007/03/chinese-new-year-and-passover-message.html

Nian Gao is one of my favourite snack and I usually buy a big one (to the disdain of my mum) so that I can keep it for the rest of the year. The shelf live for one nian gao in the fridge is one year, so you do not have to worry about the cake turning bad.

I will usually buy more after CNY as they cost a fraction of the original price

Batter : Self-raising flour, egg (for color), a little salt and sugar.

Direction : coat the cake evenly with batter and fry under medium fire. Flip the cake to the other side to fry when the fried side turn crispy.


Do you like the plate I bought? It has an indie-english look. I fell in love with it when I shop at Mustafa shopping centre. (Yes I shop at Mustafa!)

No comments:

Post a Comment